Chicken with a pasta vinegrette
2 chicken leg quarters
5 oz penne, cooked to al-dente
3/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3/8 cup peanut oil
1/4 cup lime juice
2 cloves garlic
2-3 chipotle peppers
1/4 Tsp chile d'arbol powder
1/4 cup cilantro
Smash the garlic into a paste. De-seed and chop the chipotle. Throw the lime juice into a large bowl. Add the garlic, chipotles and chile d'arbol powder. With a hand blendor, blend in the oil, slowly in a stream. Sprinkle in chopped cilantro. Stir. Do not add salt to the vinegrette until 1/2 of it has been removed for the marinade.
Place the chicken quarters, 1/2 of the vinegrette, 1 smashed clove of garlic, 1/4 cup of white wine, 1 Tbl Tabasco Chipotle Pepper sauce, 1 Tbl Hot sauce, and 1/2 of a grated medium onion into a quart zip-lock bag. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- 1. Fabricate a pan from aluminium foil, sufficiently large to collect the drippings from the chicken quarters.
2. Place one grate in the oven, so that the top surface of the chicken will be 5-7 inches from the flames.
3. Preheat the oven on the broil setting for 5 minutes.
4. Place another grate one rung below the higher grate. Place the foil pan on the top of this grate.
5. Keep the oven door slightly ajar, while broiling with a large, bunched up wad of aluminium foil inserted between the housing of the oven and the oven's door.
Arrange the chicken quarters, skin side up and side by side, directly on the oven grate and as closely together as possible. Broil for 15 - 18 minutes. Baste with the marinade about 8 minutes into the cooking time. Turn the chicken quarters over and broil for another 15 - 18 minutes, basting as before. Remove the chicken from the broiler, season with salt and pepper, and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Reserve 2 Tbls of the starchy pasta water. Throw the freshly drained pasta into a large bowl. Add the remainder of the vinegrette. Pour in the reserved pasta water. Toss this mixture until it is well coated. Arrange the chicken over the pasta. Garnish with some fresh cilantro.