Jose Cuervo's final revenge...
1 chicken, 3 1/2 lbs
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese
Habenero hot sauce
marinade of drunkeness
1/4 cup Tequila
juice of 1 lime
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tsp whole cumin seeds
2 Tbl peanut or olive oil
salt to taste
Split the chicken in half. De-seed and slice the Habenero. Place the chicken halves and the above marinade ingredients into a gallon-sized zip-lock bag. Massage in the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, periodically turning and massaging the bag.
1. Fabricate a pan from aluminium foil, sufficiently large to collect the drippings from the halves.
2. Place one grate in the oven, so that the surfaces of the halves will be 5 - 7 inches from the flames.
3. Preheat the oven on the broil setting for 5 minutes.
4. Place another grate one rung below the higher grate. Place the foil pan on the top of this grate.
5. Keep the oven door ajar, while broiling.
Before broiling, remove the garlic and Habenero from the skin of the chicken, and strain off the garlic, cumin seeds and Habenero from the marinade.
Arrange the chicken halves, end to end on the grate, directly under the broiler. Broil for 15 minutes, basting with the marinade every 5 minutes and rotating the halves 180 degrees after the first 10 minutes. Turn the chicken halves over and broil for another 15-20 minutes, basting and rotating as before. Turn the chicken for the final time. Remove the pan with chicken halves from the oven. Turn the halves over, douse them with Habenero hot sauce, season them with salt and pepper and layer slices of cheese over them. Return the chicken halves to the oven and broil until the cheese is bubbly. Remove them and allow to rest for 8 minutes.