Pollo Al Diavolo
3 1/2 lbs chicken fryer
juice of 1 lemon
2 oz dry, white wine
olive oil to cover, about 1/4 cup
2 cloves garlic
a few sprigs of rosemary
Tabasco sauce, 1 Tbl or to taste
Split the chicken in half. Chop the garlic Throw the ingredients for the marinade into a gallon-sized zip-lock bag along with the chicken halves and store in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Massage and turn the bag periodically.
1. Fabricate a pan from aluminium foil, sufficiently large to collect the drippings from the chicken halves.
2. Place one grate in the oven, so that the chicken halves will be 5 - 7 inches from the flames.
3. Preheat the oven on the broil setting for 5 minutes.
4. Place another grate one rung below the higher grate. Place the foil pan on the top of this grate.
5. Keep the oven door slightly ajar, while broiling.
Before broiling, remove the garlic from both the chicken and marinade.
Arrange the chicken halves, end to end on the grate, directly under the broiler. Broil for 15 minutes, basting with marinade every 5 minutes and rotating the halves 180 degrees after the first 10 minutes. Turn the chicken halves over and broil for another 15-20 minutes, basting and rotating as before. Turn chicken for the final time. Season with salt and pepper. Broil until the skin just bubbles. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 8 minutes.
This dish may be grilled, instead of broiled.