chicken, 3 1/2 lbs
lemons for basting
5 cloves garlic
Split the chicken in half. Chop the garlic. Place the garlic into the clarified butter. Heat the mixture at 20% power until the garlic becomes lightly golden-brown. Stir the garlic-butter mixture periodically while it is heating. Strain the garlic from the butter by pouring it through a fine mesh collander into a clean vessel.
1. Fabricate a pan from aluminium foil, sufficiently large to collect the drippings from the chicken halves.
2. Place one grate in the oven, so that the chicken halves will be 5 - 7 inches from the flames.
3. Preheat the oven on the broil setting for 5 minutes.
4. Place another grate one rung below the higher grate. Place the foil pan on the top of this grate.
5. Keep the oven door slightly ajar, while broiling.
Arrange the chicken halves, end to end on the grate, directly under the broiler. Broil the chicken for about 15 minutes, Baste by squeezing a lemon-half over them every 5 minutes. Re-arrange the halves after the first 10 minutes. Turn the halves over and broil for another 15-20 minutes, basting and re-arranging as before. Turn the chicken halves for the final time. Season with salt and pepper. Brush with some of the garlic-butter. Broil just until the skin bubbles. Remove from the oven, brush with more garlic-butter. Allow the dish to rest 8 minutes.